January 20, 2021 @ 7:00 pm - 8:00 pm EST
The purpose of this event is for advocates and those impacted with cancer to dial in to learn about cancer advocacy efforts, how to be an effective advocate, promote key legislation, build grassroots community and support for advocates new to the process. We aim to build a long-term cancer advocacy support system and efficacy and would be honored to have you join us.
If you missed the first discussion, please see a recap of the November 30th conversation here, as well as the SHEPHERD Advocacy Toolkit and a summary of the Cancer Patient Equity Act:
- Cancer Advocacy webinar video: https://youtu.be/RnciAjfyUEI
- Cancer Advocacy Toolkit: https://www.rarecancertoolkit.com
H.R. 5377, Cancer Patient Equity Act of 2021 — Rep. Butterfield (D-NC) and Rep. Bilirakis (R-FL)
Molecular Diagnostics: Mandates coverage for molecular diagnostics at the time of diagnosis for patients on Medicare, Medicaid and CHIP.
- Molecular diagnostics are a critical component of providing accurate diagnoses and enabling the use of next-generation targeted therapies.
- That information is especially important for cancers without modern standards of care, where clinical trials and targeted therapies may provide more hope for an improved outcome than typical chemotherapy and radiation regimens.
Education and Awareness: Coordinates an education and awareness program on genetic testing.
- This bill will create an education and awareness programs in coordination with the Department of Health and Human Services and the Director of the National Human Genome Research Institute for physicians and the general public on what genomic testing is, how it is used, and the role of genetic counselors.
- It will also encourage the inclusion of the importance of molecular diagnostics at diagnosis and reoccurrence of cancer during graduate medical and continuing medical education.